Signs of spring here in New Mexico:
• The winds have started. High winds are apparently a feature of spring in New Mexico--and by all accounts everybody's least favorite season.
• The snow is almost gone! Just two little patches left in my yard--here's one of them.
• The Police Academy recruits are running down the street behind my house at 5:45 a.m. Between the ritual shouting (think military trots with "huts" and other macho posturing sounds) and the reaction of the local dogs, it's impossible to sleep through. From experience last summer and fall, it seems to happen once or twice a month, and always wakes me up with a "What the ____" reaction. I start dozing off after they run by, and twenty minutes later they're back on the return trip!
• The trees are beginning to bud. Here is a close-up of a branch on my apple tree.
• The weeds are starting to make a stand--they should be worthy opponents this year because we've had such a wet six months.
• The birds are singing in the morning--what a lovely, hopeful sound!