Wednesday, December 13, 2006

It's Always Good to Get Away

Just got back from a few days in Novato, California (north of San Francisco). I had gotten an email from Travelocity pitching a cheap Albuquerque to San Francisco flight and then USAir sent me a threatening note that my frequent flier miles would be taken away if I didn't fly with them by the end of January. The cheap flight was on USAir--so how could I not go? I felt like the universe was sending me a serious message! So I called my friends Joan and Wally and invited myself for a visit.

We spent one lovely day in San Francisco at the recently renovated deYoung Museum in Golden Gate Park--saw the Gee's Bend quilt exhibit which I had seen previously in Boston and loved enough to want to see it again. (The quilt in the photographto the left was made by Mary Lee Bendolph in 2003.)

The photo below was taken from the observation tower at the museum--fabulous 360 degree views of San Francisco. Here you see the Trans-America Building to the right and what I believe is part of the University of San Francisco to the left.

Then a day shopping--having discovered upon my move to New Mexico that NONE of my favorite stores have branches in the state (Crate and Barrel, Williams Sonoma, Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware, Container Store, Hold Everything, etc.) So Joan and I went to the Corte Madera shopping center and satisfied my cravings! Thanks Joan! And a special thank-you to Wally who prepared a "welcome to San Francisco" dinner including salmon with Chambord sauce, asparagus, fresh popovers, and key lime pie made from the limes on the tree in their back yard. Wow!

No comments: